Preparing for engagement is critical before you start your detailed planning and implement your activities.
The key steps in the PREPARE stage are:
- Know why you are engaging
- Understand the level of influence
- Know your purpose for engagement
- Identify your initial stakeholders
It's important to understand the past engagements and historical decisions that have led to your upcoming engagement. Preparing for engagement also ensures your messages are clear, consistent and in line with the organisation's objectives. You can also build great connections with other teams and departments to find ways to streamline resources and achieve more together through internal collaboration.
Use our simple Preparation Checklist (PDF 40KB) to get you started.
Some helpful tools to identify your engagement purpose:
- Engagement Level Selection Tool (PDF, 50KB) or use the online interactive version
- IAP2 Spectrum (PDF, 54KB)
Some helpful tools to identify and analyse your stakeholders:
- Twyfords Appreciative Inquiry Stakeholder Analysis Tool (PDF, 320KB)
- Stakeholder Assessment Tool (DOC, 100KB)
Some Fact Sheets to assist with a best-practice engagement process:
- FACT SHEET: Inclusive engagement (DOCX, 70kb)
- FACT SHEET: Social media for Government agencies - coming soon
- FACT SHEET: Engaging with hard-to-reach groups and individuals (DOCX, 73kb)
- FACT SHEET: High quality communication strategy (DOCX, 1.6MB)
Some other helpful guides: